To Cut Or Not To Cut
Tom and I are on the brink of deciding to give Kieran his first haircut, but we are sad and torn. I keep looking at pictures of Kieran and closing one eye or putting a finger in front of his curls, just to get an idea of what he would look like without the length. He would practically look like an adult. I mean, some bartenders might not even card him if he bellied up for a beer (on a high bar stool, of course).
Kieran has now seen both of us get a haircut and has asked for one. Obviously an almost two year old doesn’t realize the permanence factor of what he is asking, though.
I’m also sensitive to comments about it, which is my own problem. (My standard response to the “m” word? Mullets are purposely shaped by scissors. Kieran’s sweet ‘do is the product of Mother Nature herself). Tom and I think his flaxen locks are beautiful. We promised each other we wouldn’t snip it until Kieran was at least three years old, but I think we’re both starting to feel the pressure. Perhaps his baby fine hair does look a little silly since he’s turning into such a big kid (sniff).
So if we do get it cut, I want to do something special.
I would love ideas (and a tissue). I’m already thinking of doing it on his second birthday, because really, that day won’t be emotional enough for me.
Attempts to talk me down from the haircut ledge will not be turned away either.
14 Responses to:
"To Cut Or Not To Cut"
My Book Is Now Available!
For My Children: A Mother's Journal of Memories, Wishes and Wisdom
Click the cover to order now!
- When Sharing Sleep Is Tiring
- Parenting From the Inside Out
- Five Ideas to Keep Babies and Toddlers Safe from Choking
- Vote Now for Your Favorite Photos in NPN’s Flickr Contest: What Does Natural Parenting Really Look Like?
- May 2013 Carnival of Natural Parenting Call for Submissions: Emergency Preparedness
Forced Weaning Due to Pregnancy
101 Things To Do Instead of Yelling or Spanking
The Effects of Circumcision on Newborn Boys
Kardashian’s Call to Cover Up
- Mother’s Day Gift Set Giveaway from moksa organics and Zoe Organics
- Natural Parents Network Holiday Gift Guide
- Giveaway: 12×16 Custom Portrait from Destany Fenton Fine Art – $220 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: Story Starters Game from Mama May I – $25 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $35 Gift Certificate to Earthslings – $35 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $30 Gift Certificate from Dominna – $30 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $20 Gift Certificate to Two Pink Hearts – $20 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: 3 Pairs of Earrings from Job Description Mommy – $45 ARV CLOSED
- Revisionary Parenting
- Giveaway: Qwirkle Game from SeriousShops.com – $25 ARV CLOSED