Cream Cheese Cutout Cookies
We tried a new cookie recipe this weekend, and it is a hit. I was in the mood for something different, so I dusted off my not-oft-used Better Homes and Gardens cook book and started flipping through the cookie recipes. I’ll include the recipe as written (with my changes in parentheses). We made two batches – both the chocolate and citrus variations.
Cream Cheese Cutouts
1/2 cup margarine or butter (I used butter)
1 3-ounce package cream cheese (I used 4 oz)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar (I used almost 1/2 cup)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla (I probably used closer to 1 tsp)
*In a mixing bowl beat butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
*Add about half of the flour, the sugar, egg, baking powder, and vanilla. Beat til thoroughly combined. (I always use a fork to mix the dry ingredients in first, then mix with my electric mixer for only a short time – this helps the cookies rise properly.)
*Beat in remaining flour. (Again, fork first, then electric.)
*Cover; chill 1 hour or til easy to handle.
*Divide the chilled dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough at a time 1/8 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes with a 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter. (I used a star cookie cutter and a regular drinking glass.) Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in a 375 degree oven about 8 minutes or till edges are lightly browned. (It took our cookies about 11-12 in a fully preheated oven, probably because they were a little thicker than 1/8 inch pre-baking.) Cool cookies on a wire rack.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Cutouts
Prepare as above except add 2 squares/2 oz semisweet chocolate, metled and cooled, with the first half of the flour. (I used 3 squares of Ghiradelli semisweet baking chocolate.)
Citrus Cream Cheese Cutouts
Prepare as above, except add 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon or orange peel and 1 tablespoon lemon or orange juice with the vanilla. (I added about 1/2 tsp of finely grated lemon peel, the juice from half of a very juicy fresh lemon, and a little splash of lemon juice from a bottle. All told I bet there was 2 tbsp of juice, I sampled the dough and added until it had a noticeable tang.)
These are delicious! And I have a feeling that the dough would freeze well for later use. (We didn’t try that this time, though.) Each batch made about 2 dozen cookies (the recipe said it would make 60 – um, no.)
5 Responses to:
"Cream Cheese Cutout Cookies"
My Book Is Now Available!
For My Children: A Mother's Journal of Memories, Wishes and Wisdom
Click the cover to order now!
- When Sharing Sleep Is Tiring
- Parenting From the Inside Out
- Five Ideas to Keep Babies and Toddlers Safe from Choking
- Vote Now for Your Favorite Photos in NPN’s Flickr Contest: What Does Natural Parenting Really Look Like?
- May 2013 Carnival of Natural Parenting Call for Submissions: Emergency Preparedness
Forced Weaning Due to Pregnancy
101 Things To Do Instead of Yelling or Spanking
The Effects of Circumcision on Newborn Boys
Kardashian’s Call to Cover Up
- Mother’s Day Gift Set Giveaway from moksa organics and Zoe Organics
- Natural Parents Network Holiday Gift Guide
- Giveaway: 12×16 Custom Portrait from Destany Fenton Fine Art – $220 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: Story Starters Game from Mama May I – $25 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $35 Gift Certificate to Earthslings – $35 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $30 Gift Certificate from Dominna – $30 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $20 Gift Certificate to Two Pink Hearts – $20 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: 3 Pairs of Earrings from Job Description Mommy – $45 ARV CLOSED
- Revisionary Parenting
- Giveaway: Qwirkle Game from SeriousShops.com – $25 ARV CLOSED