Kieran’s First Year
At about 12:00p.m. on December 10 two years ago, I realized that my water had, indeed, broken.
So began 31 hours of labor.
I can recall the faintest scraps of that first 24 hours in vivid detail . . .
-a red light that lasted for an eternity on my way to see the midwife. I finally ran it and giggled hysterically at the thought of some poor police officer pulling me over;
-hushed and hurried conversations with Tom about the best place to labor. An ice storm was moving in and we didn’t want to get stuck delivering at a hospital (our birth center was 30 minutes away on a good day). We ended up going to the birth center around 7:00p.m., well before active labor started;
-the first contraction that felt like much more than a menstrual cramp: I was sitting in the car waiting for Tom to pick up a pizza. I don’t remember what it felt like, but I do remember laughing nervously (“so this is what I’ve gotten myself in to”);
-a steady progression of pain which resulted in absolutely no sleep. I sent my birth coach home around 10:00 after time spent walking, laughing, and praying that I would progress. In most of the wee hours of that night, it was just me – rocking with the pain and staring out the window at the ice accumulating. The power blinked off sometime that night, and I felt incredibly isolated without the normal whir of heaters and appliances and the glow of the bathroom light. When the contractions finally started to take my breath away around 2:30a.m., I woke Tom. He held me, half asleep and loopy from his cold medicine, and we rocked together in the pre-dawn darkness.
For those of you who are interested, I will post a birth story tomorrow.
Today, please enjoy the slideshow we made for Kieran’s first birthday last year.
10 Responses to:
"Kieran’s First Year"
My Book Is Now Available!
For My Children: A Mother's Journal of Memories, Wishes and Wisdom
Click the cover to order now!
- When Sharing Sleep Is Tiring
- Parenting From the Inside Out
- Five Ideas to Keep Babies and Toddlers Safe from Choking
- Vote Now for Your Favorite Photos in NPN’s Flickr Contest: What Does Natural Parenting Really Look Like?
- May 2013 Carnival of Natural Parenting Call for Submissions: Emergency Preparedness
Forced Weaning Due to Pregnancy
101 Things To Do Instead of Yelling or Spanking
The Effects of Circumcision on Newborn Boys
Kardashian’s Call to Cover Up
- Mother’s Day Gift Set Giveaway from moksa organics and Zoe Organics
- Natural Parents Network Holiday Gift Guide
- Giveaway: 12×16 Custom Portrait from Destany Fenton Fine Art – $220 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: Story Starters Game from Mama May I – $25 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $35 Gift Certificate to Earthslings – $35 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $30 Gift Certificate from Dominna – $30 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $20 Gift Certificate to Two Pink Hearts – $20 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: 3 Pairs of Earrings from Job Description Mommy – $45 ARV CLOSED
- Revisionary Parenting
- Giveaway: Qwirkle Game from SeriousShops.com – $25 ARV CLOSED