Bird Seed Biscuits
As we wound down our Christmas crafting, one of our last projects was to make Bird Seed Biscuits (using the recipe found here). These were pretty easy to make with minimal mess – the worst part is making sure you’ve swept up each tiny piece of seed. With a rambunctious two year old helping, that can be a challenge.
Here is what we did.
*3/4 cup birdseed (Makes two 3 inch biscuits)
*1 tablespoon flour (I used about 1 1/2 tbsp)
*2 tablespoons water (I used about 2 1/2 tbsp)
*Metal (oven safe) cookie cutters
*Mix birdseed, flour, and water. (The amount of flour & water as called for in the recipe did not make the mixture sticky enough, so I increased both. You want it to be sticky enough that the mixture will hold together after baking.)
*Cover cookie sheet with foil.
*Spray cookie cutters with cooking spray and pack seed mixture in firmly. Insert half of a straw toward the top to make a hole for your ribbon for hanging.
*Bake at 170 degrees until hard, about one hour.
*(My improvement on the recipe): Thread the ribbon through the straw, then remove the straw. Hang and enjoy!
These are really cute! I need to find different cookie cutters, the butterfly is probably too narrow for this project. Either way, I’m sure the biscuits will be appreciated by the birds.
What was your favorite homemade gift this year?
What homemade projects do you have planned for next year?
4 Responses to:
"Bird Seed Biscuits"
My Book Is Now Available!
For My Children: A Mother's Journal of Memories, Wishes and Wisdom
Click the cover to order now!
- 9 Ways to Create Moments of Connection with Older Children
- Lego Angst
- I Wish Children Came with Instruction Manuals
- Mindful Nurturing Resources Bundle Sale
- We’re Just Suckers for Breastmilk! Should Lactivists Worry About Breastmilk-Flavored Lollipops?
Forced Weaning Due to Pregnancy
101 Things To Do Instead of Yelling or Spanking
The Effects of Circumcision on Newborn Boys
Kardashian’s Call to Cover Up
- Mother’s Day Gift Set Giveaway from moksa organics and Zoe Organics
- Natural Parents Network Holiday Gift Guide
- Giveaway: 12×16 Custom Portrait from Destany Fenton Fine Art – $220 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: Story Starters Game from Mama May I – $25 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $35 Gift Certificate to Earthslings – $35 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $30 Gift Certificate from Dominna – $30 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $20 Gift Certificate to Two Pink Hearts – $20 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: 3 Pairs of Earrings from Job Description Mommy – $45 ARV CLOSED
- Revisionary Parenting
- Giveaway: Qwirkle Game from SeriousShops.com – $25 ARV CLOSED