January Carnival of Natural Parenting: Resolutions
Welcome to the January Carnival of Natural Parenting: Parenting resolutions!
This is the first monthly Carnival of Natural Parenting hosted by Hobo Mama and Code Name: Mama. This month we’re writing about how we want to parent differently — or the same — in the New Year. Please read to the end to find a list of links to the other carnival participants.
Since Kieran’s birthday is so close to year’s end, my parenting resolutions coincide with my baby turning two.
Understatement alert: Parenting a two year old is much different than parenting a one year old.
Kieran’s blossoming language and motor skills present new parenting joys and dilemmas. His growing independence introduces another dimension to our relationship and our family dynamics. He is identifying feelings and learning about the emotions and moods of himself and others.
And it is all happening at once. No wonder we all three have occasional meltdowns.
There are a few things I would like to do (or do better) in 2010 as the mama of a two year old. Here are some of my priorities:
6) I resolve to never refer to Kieran’s behavior as a product of “the terrible two’s.” There is nothing terrible about him!
5) I will not freak out if Kieran is not wearing toddler underwear when other kids his age are sporting Dora and Thomas on their tushies. I will not wash diapers forever. (I will not wash diapers forever. I will not wash diapers forever . . .)
4) I will try to see Kieran’s normal toddler behavior as “teachable moments” rather than infractions that call for “consequences.” I will not take behavior personally! My toddler isn’t trying to hurt or inconvenience me or “misbehave.”
3) I will try to remember to see things from Kieran’s perspective, and I will respect him as the cool little person that he is.
2) When Kieran asks me “wat dat? wat dat, mama? wat dat do, mama? mama? wat dat? wat dat is, mama? wat dat do? mama?”, I will react no more harshly than Lois.
(that clip makes me laugh every.time., and I don’t even watch the show)
1) Most of all, I will enjoy the journey – our little ones grow up too fast. Soon I’ll be the mama of a three year old. (sniff)
Have you made parenting resolutions for 2010?
On Code Name: Mama, I share information, resources, and my thoughts on natural parenting and life with a toddler. Please take a moment to subscribe to my RSS feed for free updates.
Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants:
(This list will be updated by noon EST Jan. 12 with all the carnival links. All the links below will be active by then.)
• It Is All About Empathy: Nurturing a Toddler’s Compassion Potential — Paige at Baby Dust Diaries gives us a comprehensive post on how to help our children develop empathy. You can find Paige on Twitter at @babydust.
• Mindfully Loving My Children — Melodie at Breastfeeding Moms Unite! has found that determining her children’s love language is helping guide her in parenting compassionately. You can find Melodie on Twitter at @bfmom.
• January Carnival of Natural Parenting: Resolutions — Dionna at Code Name: Mama resolves (among other things) not to freak out if her toddler isn’t sporting Thomas undies in 2010. You can find Dionna on Twitter at @CodeNameMama.
• Imperfect Mother — Sarah at Consider Eden looks back at the goals she had for herself last year to see how close she came to her ideal — and finds some unexpected accomplishments as well. You can find Sarah on Twitter at @ConsiderEden.
• FC Mom’s Parenting Resolutions 2010 — Kristine at FC Mom is arguably the most ambitious among our group – she has resolutions in just about every area of her life! You can find Kristine on Twitter at @TheFCMom.
• What’s in a Resolution? — Chrystal at Happy Mothering is due soon with baby girl #2! Chrystal resolves to be as fully present for two daughters as she was when she had only one. You can find Chrystal on Twitter at @HappyMothering.
• Natural Parenting Resolutions — Mrs Green at Little Green Blog has found a simple way to take a break before reacting emotionally to a tense situation. You can find Mrs. Green on Twitter at @myzerowaste.
• This year, I will mostly… — Ruth at Look Left of the Pleiades reminds us that small changes can help overcome big struggles. You can find Ruth on Twitter at @brightravenmum.
• Moving to Two Kids — Megna at Megna the Destroyer is expecting baby #2 any day! Megna has been reading “Siblings Without Rivalry” for some advice on how to navigate being the mother of two children.
• My parenting resolutions — Mamamilkers at Musings of a Milk Maker has found a parenting class and a counselor to help her five-year-old work through her anxiety issues. You can find Mamamilkers on Twitter at @mamamilkers.
• Talkin’ ’bout My Resolutions — NavelgazingBajan at Navelgazing is committing herself in public to cloth diapering, baby signs, bedtimes, and book reading.
• Parenting Resolutions — Sarah at One Starry Night is helping her older son heal from time away from her and keeping her newest addition happy while recovering from a challenging pregnancy and birth. You can find Sarah on Twitter at @starrymom.
• I need to slow down, smell those roses AND the poopy diapers — Joni Rae at Tales of a Kitchen Witch Momma wants to slow down to smell the roses and the poopy diapers. You can find Joni Rae on Twitter at @kitchenwitch.
20 Responses to:
"January Carnival of Natural Parenting: Resolutions"
My Book Is Now Available!
For My Children: A Mother's Journal of Memories, Wishes and Wisdom
Click the cover to order now!
- 9 Ways to Create Moments of Connection with Older Children
- Lego Angst
- I Wish Children Came with Instruction Manuals
- Mindful Nurturing Resources Bundle Sale
- We’re Just Suckers for Breastmilk! Should Lactivists Worry About Breastmilk-Flavored Lollipops?
Forced Weaning Due to Pregnancy
101 Things To Do Instead of Yelling or Spanking
The Effects of Circumcision on Newborn Boys
Kardashian’s Call to Cover Up
- Mother’s Day Gift Set Giveaway from moksa organics and Zoe Organics
- Natural Parents Network Holiday Gift Guide
- Giveaway: 12×16 Custom Portrait from Destany Fenton Fine Art – $220 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: Story Starters Game from Mama May I – $25 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $35 Gift Certificate to Earthslings – $35 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $30 Gift Certificate from Dominna – $30 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $20 Gift Certificate to Two Pink Hearts – $20 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: 3 Pairs of Earrings from Job Description Mommy – $45 ARV CLOSED
- Revisionary Parenting
- Giveaway: Qwirkle Game from SeriousShops.com – $25 ARV CLOSED