We had a co-op class with our friend Acacia this week, and she made scones to share. They were delicious and I demanded the recipe. Thank you, Acacia, I am so excited to try these! I will add a picture after Kieran and I get a chance to make these this week.
The recipe is from The Healthy Kitchen by Andrew Weil, M.D., and Rosie Dahl.
1/2 cup sugar
5 tbsp grapeseed or expeller-pressed canola oil
1/8 tsp lemon zest
1/2 c upoatmeal (not instant)
1/4 cup wheat bran
1 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
2 tbsp millet
2 tbsp poppy seed (Acacia sub’d sunflower seeds, which were delicious)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
*Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
*Whisk the egg, sugar and oil together in a bowl.
*Mix the lemon zest and all the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl and stir witha wooden spoon until all of them are evenly dispersed throughout.
*Slowly add the dry ingredients into the egg, sugar and oil, and mix to create a thick dough.
*Add the milk and mix well.
*Lightly grease a baking pan.
*Scoop up tablespoonfuls of the dough and drop them one by one in mounds onto the baking pan, leaving 2 inches of space between. You should have 10 scones.
*Bake for 15-20 minutes, just until the crust is barely golden brown and the dough is dry.
*Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
The book has a recipe for a Zesty Lemon Topping, but Acacia has never made it. The scones we ate were scrumptious without a topping.
3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
With a fork mix the Lemon Topping ingredients until the sugar is completely melded in. Drizzle 1 tablespoon over each scone.
*Acacia said that she usually uses succanat instead of sugar and some other seed or nut in place of poppy seeds. She also has done half unbleached white flour and half whole wheat pastry flour with a little wheat germ and a couple tablespoons ground flaxseed.
*The book also notes that the recipe will work dairy-free by substituting soy milk for the cow’s milk.
On Code Name: Mama, I share information, resources, and my thoughts on natural parenting and life with a toddler. Please take a moment to subscribe to my RSS feed for free updates.
4 Responses to:
My Book Is Now Available!
For My Children: A Mother's Journal of Memories, Wishes and Wisdom
Click the cover to order now!
- When Sharing Sleep Is Tiring
- Parenting From the Inside Out
- Five Ideas to Keep Babies and Toddlers Safe from Choking
- Vote Now for Your Favorite Photos in NPN’s Flickr Contest: What Does Natural Parenting Really Look Like?
- May 2013 Carnival of Natural Parenting Call for Submissions: Emergency Preparedness
Forced Weaning Due to Pregnancy
101 Things To Do Instead of Yelling or Spanking
The Effects of Circumcision on Newborn Boys
Kardashian’s Call to Cover Up
- Mother’s Day Gift Set Giveaway from moksa organics and Zoe Organics
- Natural Parents Network Holiday Gift Guide
- Giveaway: 12×16 Custom Portrait from Destany Fenton Fine Art – $220 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: Story Starters Game from Mama May I – $25 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $35 Gift Certificate to Earthslings – $35 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $30 Gift Certificate from Dominna – $30 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $20 Gift Certificate to Two Pink Hearts – $20 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: 3 Pairs of Earrings from Job Description Mommy – $45 ARV CLOSED
- Revisionary Parenting
- Giveaway: Qwirkle Game from SeriousShops.com – $25 ARV CLOSED