The Joys of Breastfeeding a Toddler #1
I tweeted something last week that made me think of a fun idea for a series of posts: the joys of breastfeeding a toddler.
We hear lots of things about how beautiful and special it is to nurse an infant. (1) How sweet a breastfed baby smells, how soft she is as she molds to your body, how his cries immediately turn to little nursing murmurs of contentment the moment he latches on your breast.
We also hear much about the trials of breastfeeding a toddler. From issues with toddler nursing gymnastics, to the embarrassment we sometimes feel when our toddler pulls our shirt down in front of anyone and everyone, nursing a toddler is a whole different ballgame. There is even disagreement about what we should call breastfeeding a toddler. (2)
But breastfeeding a toddler is full of laughter, joys, and heartbreaking tenderness. These are the things I want to capture with this series. I will post a new joy each week.
But this isn’t just about me – I want to hear YOUR joys. If you are nursing a toddler (or did in the past), please contact me and tell me about your favorite moments. I will include them in the series and credit you, your site, or post it anonymously if you so desire.
And so it begins. Here is the joy that sparked this idea:
Kieran began to stir from his nap, and I laid down with him to help him sleep for a few more minutes. He climbed onto my chest and snuggled in to nurse. I picked up a book and read until I felt him waking again. I glanced down and watched him slowly open one eye, then the other, to gaze back up at me. When he noticed me looking at him, he broke into one of his radiant sleepy grins and said:
“Party at mama’s milk!”
(1) In case you missed the March Carnival of Breastfeeding (hosted by The Motherwear Breastfeeding Blog and Blacktating), it was all about the joys of breastfeeding.
(2) Do we call it “full-term” breastfeeding? Extended? Breastfeeding beyond infancy? Long-term? For some insightful posts on this subject visit Hobo Mama and Breastfeeding Moms Unite.
9 Responses to:
"The Joys of Breastfeeding a Toddler #1"
My Book Is Now Available!
For My Children: A Mother's Journal of Memories, Wishes and Wisdom
Click the cover to order now!
- 9 Ways to Create Moments of Connection with Older Children
- Lego Angst
- I Wish Children Came with Instruction Manuals
- Mindful Nurturing Resources Bundle Sale
- We’re Just Suckers for Breastmilk! Should Lactivists Worry About Breastmilk-Flavored Lollipops?
Forced Weaning Due to Pregnancy
101 Things To Do Instead of Yelling or Spanking
The Effects of Circumcision on Newborn Boys
Kardashian’s Call to Cover Up
- Mother’s Day Gift Set Giveaway from moksa organics and Zoe Organics
- Natural Parents Network Holiday Gift Guide
- Giveaway: 12×16 Custom Portrait from Destany Fenton Fine Art – $220 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: Story Starters Game from Mama May I – $25 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $35 Gift Certificate to Earthslings – $35 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $30 Gift Certificate from Dominna – $30 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $20 Gift Certificate to Two Pink Hearts – $20 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: 3 Pairs of Earrings from Job Description Mommy – $45 ARV CLOSED
- Revisionary Parenting
- Giveaway: Qwirkle Game from SeriousShops.com – $25 ARV CLOSED