Project: Spring Green
Before Tom and I met 5+ years ago, he was comfortable in his bachelorhood. So comfortable that he bought a condo here in Kansas City. When he moved to New Mexico to be with me, he tried to sell the condo; but the housing market was beginning its downturn and it proved impossible to find a buyer. He decided to rent it out, and so it has been for the past five years. Every year or two we have a tenant flake out on us and we scramble, and this year is more of the same.
April 1st-3rd this year found me scrubbing someone else’s soap scum from their shower walls, scuffs and food bits from their walls, undesirables from their carpets, and trying to entertain a two year old as I cleaned.
It was a nightmare.
Because I knew the condo was in need of a good deep clean, I brought over all of my chemical-laden cleaners and went to work. I’ve slowly been transitioning away from those cleaners – we just use a vinegar/water solution for 75% of our cleaning at home.
I seriously almost died from the shower cleaner fumes. I made Kieran go outside while I scrubbed the shower (he happily pranced about clad only in a diaper on the balcony), and I scrubbed with one hand while holding a towel over my face with the other.
I knew it was time for a change.
Project Spring Green
Megan from Sorta Crunchy has challenged her readers to a “Project: Spring Green” for the month of April. Here is the jist:
To honor the earth and it’s delightful display of green, choose one goal that would bless your family and the planet, and throughout the month of April, we’ll all work on this goal together.
I had already been planning on researching “green” household cleaners for a series of articles, and I took almost all of my toxic cleaners out of the house to clean the condo. What better time than the present to introduce all new green cleaners into our house?
Do you have a favorite “green” cleaner? I am particularly worried about shower and toilet cleaners.
Photo credit: lusi
14 Responses to:
"Project: Spring Green"
My Book Is Now Available!
For My Children: A Mother's Journal of Memories, Wishes and Wisdom
Click the cover to order now!
- 9 Ways to Create Moments of Connection with Older Children
- Lego Angst
- I Wish Children Came with Instruction Manuals
- Mindful Nurturing Resources Bundle Sale
- We’re Just Suckers for Breastmilk! Should Lactivists Worry About Breastmilk-Flavored Lollipops?
Forced Weaning Due to Pregnancy
101 Things To Do Instead of Yelling or Spanking
The Effects of Circumcision on Newborn Boys
Kardashian’s Call to Cover Up
- Mother’s Day Gift Set Giveaway from moksa organics and Zoe Organics
- Natural Parents Network Holiday Gift Guide
- Giveaway: 12×16 Custom Portrait from Destany Fenton Fine Art – $220 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: Story Starters Game from Mama May I – $25 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $35 Gift Certificate to Earthslings – $35 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $30 Gift Certificate from Dominna – $30 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $20 Gift Certificate to Two Pink Hearts – $20 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: 3 Pairs of Earrings from Job Description Mommy – $45 ARV CLOSED
- Revisionary Parenting
- Giveaway: Qwirkle Game from SeriousShops.com – $25 ARV CLOSED