The Joys of Breastfeeding a Toddler #2
I am so happy to welcome Natalie, who has shared a story about one of her greatest joys in breastfeeding her toddler, Nathan, who recently turned two years old. Natalie is a Christian, a wife, a tandem-nursing mama, and a homemaker. She spends her days kissing chubby cheeks, taking paper out of the baby’s mouth and butter out of the toddler’s hands, taking care of her house, and writing for her own site, Naddy’s Blog. Here is her breastfeeding guest post:
I think the biggest difference in nursing a toddler, beside the fact that it is unpredictable (he can get busy out and about and not nurse practically all day, or be tired and not feeling well and need to nurse every few hours like his sister!), is that toddlers are blossoming into verbal little people. Both of my funny toddler nursing stories are due to Nathan’s blossoming verbal skills . . .
A few months ago, Nathan’s ‘word’ was “Boo!” Whenever he didn’t know what to say, whenever he was happy, he said “Boo!” He and I were snuggled up nursing one morning and my husband came to wake me up. Nathan hadn’t opened his eyes, and I thought he was going back to sleep, so we were both highly amused and surprised when he popped off, rolled over, and said, “Boo!” at daddy. :)
Yesterday, for the first time, he nursed, then walked away, pausing for a moment to say “YUM!” in commentary as he went. It totally blew me away. I am so thankful for being able to share this special bond with him and to have this part of our nursing adventure!
Breastfeeding a toddler is full of laughter, joys, and heartbreaking tenderness. I am publishing a series of posts dedicated to the beauty of nursing toddlers in an effort to normalize this healthy and beneficial nursing relationship.
But this isn’t just about me – I want to hear YOUR joys. If you are nursing a toddler (or have in the past), please contact me and tell me about your favorite moments. I will include them in the series and credit you, your site, or post it anonymously if you so desire.
9 Responses to:
"The Joys of Breastfeeding a Toddler #2"
My Book Is Now Available!
For My Children: A Mother's Journal of Memories, Wishes and Wisdom
Click the cover to order now!
- When Sharing Sleep Is Tiring
- Parenting From the Inside Out
- Five Ideas to Keep Babies and Toddlers Safe from Choking
- Vote Now for Your Favorite Photos in NPN’s Flickr Contest: What Does Natural Parenting Really Look Like?
- May 2013 Carnival of Natural Parenting Call for Submissions: Emergency Preparedness
Forced Weaning Due to Pregnancy
101 Things To Do Instead of Yelling or Spanking
The Effects of Circumcision on Newborn Boys
Kardashian’s Call to Cover Up
- Mother’s Day Gift Set Giveaway from moksa organics and Zoe Organics
- Natural Parents Network Holiday Gift Guide
- Giveaway: 12×16 Custom Portrait from Destany Fenton Fine Art – $220 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: Story Starters Game from Mama May I – $25 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $35 Gift Certificate to Earthslings – $35 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $30 Gift Certificate from Dominna – $30 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $20 Gift Certificate to Two Pink Hearts – $20 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: 3 Pairs of Earrings from Job Description Mommy – $45 ARV CLOSED
- Revisionary Parenting
- Giveaway: Qwirkle Game from SeriousShops.com – $25 ARV CLOSED