The Joys of Breastfeeding a Toddler #4
I am so happy to welcome Elizabeth, who has shared a story about one of her greatest joys in breastfeeding a toddler. Elizabeth is the mother of three girls and is a full time writer/professor/social media consultant/editor (whew!). She writes incredibly funny (and sometimes irreverent and moving) posts at her own site, DaMomma (read this post and you’ll see why I begged her to write something for the “Joys” series). Here is her breastfeeding guest post:
Breastfeeding a toddler is the hindmilk of the entire breastfeeding experience.
It’s the good stuff, I’m telling you. Don’t stop before you get there.
In this overly-sexualized culture we are so backward that we are repulsed by the sight of a woman’s bosom doing exactly what it was designed to do – provide perfectly-manufactured milk to nurture, comfort and sustain the baby she brought into the world. What should be a delicious sight – a woman, her offspring nestling in the shelter of each other – has become a grotesque one for no reason I can comprehend.
The first time your toddler pulls on your sleeve hopefully, and you say,
“Nurse, baby?” — and she nods with big happy eyes and crawls into your lap … you’ll know it was worth it.
Then she will tuck in to you, put her hands on your warm body, sigh deeply.
And that’s still not the best part.
The best part is when the milk comes, and she kicks both of her feet in unbridled joy, her eyes locked on your face as she contemplates just how awesome you are.
Try to get that from the jug in the fridge.
Breastfeeding a toddler is full of laughter, joys, and heartbreaking tenderness. I am publishing a series of posts dedicated to the beauty of nursing toddlers in an effort to normalize this healthy and beneficial nursing relationship.
But this isn’t just about me – I want to hear YOUR joys. If you are nursing a toddler (or have in the past), please contact me and tell me about your favorite moments. I will include them in the series and credit you, your site, or post it anonymously if you so desire.
7 Responses to:
"The Joys of Breastfeeding a Toddler #4"
My Book Is Now Available!
For My Children: A Mother's Journal of Memories, Wishes and Wisdom
Click the cover to order now!
- When Sharing Sleep Is Tiring
- Parenting From the Inside Out
- Five Ideas to Keep Babies and Toddlers Safe from Choking
- Vote Now for Your Favorite Photos in NPN’s Flickr Contest: What Does Natural Parenting Really Look Like?
- May 2013 Carnival of Natural Parenting Call for Submissions: Emergency Preparedness
Forced Weaning Due to Pregnancy
101 Things To Do Instead of Yelling or Spanking
The Effects of Circumcision on Newborn Boys
Kardashian’s Call to Cover Up
- Mother’s Day Gift Set Giveaway from moksa organics and Zoe Organics
- Natural Parents Network Holiday Gift Guide
- Giveaway: 12×16 Custom Portrait from Destany Fenton Fine Art – $220 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: Story Starters Game from Mama May I – $25 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $35 Gift Certificate to Earthslings – $35 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $30 Gift Certificate from Dominna – $30 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $20 Gift Certificate to Two Pink Hearts – $20 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: 3 Pairs of Earrings from Job Description Mommy – $45 ARV CLOSED
- Revisionary Parenting
- Giveaway: Qwirkle Game from SeriousShops.com – $25 ARV CLOSED