The Joys of Breastfeeding a Toddler #6
I am so happy to welcome Sue from Midlands, England, who has shared a story about one of her greatest joys in breastfeeding her now 27 month old toddler. Sue knew nothing about children until she had one herself. She loves reading parenting books and message boards and overanalyses everything in her quest to be a “good parent”. When her baby was three months old, she trained as a breast-feeding peer supporter and spent time volunteering at a baby cafe. Sue now works part-time and, alas, still sleeps part-time. Here is her breastfeeding guest post:
Rather than share a story, I want to give you a few glimpses into the life of my nursing toddler. A toddler’s blossoming language skills and creativity are a neverending source of joy!
- My toddler can now ask for “boob” and “more boob”. Why didn’t we use a more discreet word! She does the usual hand-down-top maneuver, trying to get them out in public. Sometimes she just asks for a “look.” Sometimes I feel she only wants me for one thing (or two things).
- She points to the side she wants and says “that one”.
- She frequently asks me to feed her favourite cuddly toy on the other side(tandem feeding with a difference).
- When she has had enough, she tells me to put them away with “boob home” and usually helps me back into my bra/vest top.
- If I’m ever getting dressed in front of her she insists on coming over to kiss each breast and usually has a sneaky feed at the same time, so if I’m in a hurry in the morning I have to dress/undress out of her sight.
- Sometimes when she’s feeding, she asks me to sing. Sometimes she looks up at me, nipple in mouth and repeats the cute refrain “happy mummy,” “happy daddy,” “happy (her name), “happy boobs”.
Breastfeeding a toddler is full of laughter, joys, and heartbreaking tenderness. I am publishing a series of posts dedicated to the beauty of nursing toddlers in an effort to normalize this healthy and beneficial nursing relationship.
But this isn’t just about me – I want to hear YOUR joys. If you are nursing a toddler (or have in the past), please contact me and tell me about your favorite moments. I will include them in the series and credit you, your site, or post it anonymously if you so desire.
7 Responses to:
"The Joys of Breastfeeding a Toddler #6"
My Book Is Now Available!
For My Children: A Mother's Journal of Memories, Wishes and Wisdom
Click the cover to order now!
- When Sharing Sleep Is Tiring
- Parenting From the Inside Out
- Five Ideas to Keep Babies and Toddlers Safe from Choking
- Vote Now for Your Favorite Photos in NPN’s Flickr Contest: What Does Natural Parenting Really Look Like?
- May 2013 Carnival of Natural Parenting Call for Submissions: Emergency Preparedness
Forced Weaning Due to Pregnancy
101 Things To Do Instead of Yelling or Spanking
The Effects of Circumcision on Newborn Boys
Kardashian’s Call to Cover Up
- Mother’s Day Gift Set Giveaway from moksa organics and Zoe Organics
- Natural Parents Network Holiday Gift Guide
- Giveaway: 12×16 Custom Portrait from Destany Fenton Fine Art – $220 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: Story Starters Game from Mama May I – $25 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $35 Gift Certificate to Earthslings – $35 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $30 Gift Certificate from Dominna – $30 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $20 Gift Certificate to Two Pink Hearts – $20 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: 3 Pairs of Earrings from Job Description Mommy – $45 ARV CLOSED
- Revisionary Parenting
- Giveaway: Qwirkle Game from SeriousShops.com – $25 ARV CLOSED