You Know You’re a Mama When . . .
We rearranged our living space a few days ago by moving the desk from the back of the house (where it wasn’t used) to the front (where it may get used). While cleaning out the drawers, Kieran found some Post-it flags that I used in my previous life as a lawyer.
I loved Post-it flags. My friends at law school may remember my penchant for flagging textbooks and outlines, because I am a nerd like that.
For example, to the right is a picture of my well-loved copy of “The Bluebook.” The Bluebook tells lawyers (who care) how to cite things correctly when writing. If you remember your college English courses, it’s kind of like the MLA for attorneys.1
Anyway. Kieran found my flags.
At first I asked him to leave the flags alone, because I’m just kind of protective of my flags like that, yo.
But then I thought – what the hell?
They’ve been sitting in a desk drawer unused for the last three years, why not let Kieran have some fun?
And so I did.
He immediately found their next best use (after flagging legal documents), which is flagging the different sectors of one’s own anatomy.
He was very intently preoccupied with this flagging exercise for oh, ten to fifteen minutes or so.
And as I took pictures of my beloved flags decorating my beloved son’s legs I thought, you know you’re a mama when the contents of your desk drawers are more useful as body art than they are for their original purpose.
What about you? What wonderful things have you experienced lately that made you think “you know you’re a mama when . . .”
Leave your thoughts in the comments, and I will post them all later!
- I owed my lovely Bluebook flagging system to one of Washburn University School of Law’s most intelligent and beloved professors, Alex Glashausser. ↩
27 Responses to:
"You Know You’re a Mama When . . ."
My Book Is Now Available!
For My Children: A Mother's Journal of Memories, Wishes and Wisdom
Click the cover to order now!
- When Sharing Sleep Is Tiring
- Parenting From the Inside Out
- Five Ideas to Keep Babies and Toddlers Safe from Choking
- Vote Now for Your Favorite Photos in NPN’s Flickr Contest: What Does Natural Parenting Really Look Like?
- May 2013 Carnival of Natural Parenting Call for Submissions: Emergency Preparedness
Forced Weaning Due to Pregnancy
101 Things To Do Instead of Yelling or Spanking
The Effects of Circumcision on Newborn Boys
Kardashian’s Call to Cover Up
- Mother’s Day Gift Set Giveaway from moksa organics and Zoe Organics
- Natural Parents Network Holiday Gift Guide
- Giveaway: 12×16 Custom Portrait from Destany Fenton Fine Art – $220 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: Story Starters Game from Mama May I – $25 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $35 Gift Certificate to Earthslings – $35 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $30 Gift Certificate from Dominna – $30 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $20 Gift Certificate to Two Pink Hearts – $20 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: 3 Pairs of Earrings from Job Description Mommy – $45 ARV CLOSED
- Revisionary Parenting
- Giveaway: Qwirkle Game from SeriousShops.com – $25 ARV CLOSED