The heat index has been surpassing the 100 degree mark for awhile here in Kansas City, so unless we are outside in the water, we’re not outside.To interrupt the boredom of being stuck inside for days on end, we created an indoor racetrack for Kieran.
Moving play to a different location has some nice side benefits1:
*It allows your child to think creatively;
*It invites your child to explore and interact with her playthings in novel ways;
*A change of scenery may facilitate new learning opportunities. For example, in the short time Kieran has been playing with his wall racetrack, we’ve already had a discussion about gravity, after he commented on the fact that the cars do not stay on the track unless he is holding them.
*In the case of the wall racetrack, it is a great way to utilize a small play area – you build the play space up instead of out.
1) Get a big piece of paper: we have a roll of butcher paper that is perfect.
2) Draw your tracks: we laid wooden railroad tracks down in a fun shape that fit our paper and traced them with pencil.
3) Pretty it up: we traced over our tracks with marker, added yellow lines in the middle, drew a checked start/finish line, and added a sign that says “Welcome to Kieran’s Speedway.”
4) Attach it to the wall: we used tape.
Have you been dealing with too much time inside? How do you chase away the boredom that comes with the summer heat?
10 Responses to:
My Book Is Now Available!
For My Children: A Mother's Journal of Memories, Wishes and Wisdom
Click the cover to order now!
- When Sharing Sleep Is Tiring
- Parenting From the Inside Out
- Five Ideas to Keep Babies and Toddlers Safe from Choking
- Vote Now for Your Favorite Photos in NPN’s Flickr Contest: What Does Natural Parenting Really Look Like?
- May 2013 Carnival of Natural Parenting Call for Submissions: Emergency Preparedness
Forced Weaning Due to Pregnancy
101 Things To Do Instead of Yelling or Spanking
The Effects of Circumcision on Newborn Boys
Kardashian’s Call to Cover Up
- Mother’s Day Gift Set Giveaway from moksa organics and Zoe Organics
- Natural Parents Network Holiday Gift Guide
- Giveaway: 12×16 Custom Portrait from Destany Fenton Fine Art – $220 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: Story Starters Game from Mama May I – $25 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $35 Gift Certificate to Earthslings – $35 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $30 Gift Certificate from Dominna – $30 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $20 Gift Certificate to Two Pink Hearts – $20 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: 3 Pairs of Earrings from Job Description Mommy – $45 ARV CLOSED
- Revisionary Parenting
- Giveaway: Qwirkle Game from SeriousShops.com – $25 ARV CLOSED