Jeremy Draws a Monster, Part 1
Finding a book for our first month’s “Families, Create” theme, “Cuddle Up,” was hard – but that’s because there are so many great books to choose from! Not only do we “cuddle up” every time we read a book, but there are so many cuddly characters in kids’ stories. Ultimately, our creations have more to do with the fact that we “cuddle up” to read together.
Last week, we made our weekly trip to the library and checked out Jeremy Draws a Monster, by Peter McCarty. We’ve read it before, and it was as much of a hit the second time around as it was the first. The drawings are simple yet engaging, and Kieran has fun examining the illustrations on the front and back endpaper. His favorite part of the book, by the way, is how “the monster moves!”
We were all feeling pretty restless this past Sunday, so Tom suggested we make a movie. Kieran decided he wanted to make a movie out of Jeremy Draws a Monster, so without rehearsal, a full battery charge on the camcorder, or showering (ahem), this is what we came up with.1
I love it. Stay tuned for my second “Families, Create!” post tomorrow – we did a couple of other fun monster activities thanks to Jeremy.
Our February theme is “Heroes and Heroines” – what can your family create this month to celebrate the heroes and heroines in your lives?
Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants:
- What’s the perfect way to snuggle up on a cold winter night? Acacia at Fingerpaint & Superheroes knows the answer: make the perfect soup!
- Simply decorated jars by children bring warmth and light to cold Winter’s days at Living Peacefully with Children.
- The ArtsyMama teaches us how to create a no sew fleece throw inspired by your favorite snuggle time book.
- Movies made from books are often pretty poor representations, but this family-made movie from Dionna at Code Name: Mama is monster-ific!
- Aunalise at My Sweet Potatoes created a cozy for her Kindle, to protect it from little hands that think they need to cuddle with it.
- What better way to cuddle and get cozy than in new jammies made by Mama G @ Z everyday things?
- Inspired by her family’s love of the Harry Potter series, Mandy at Living Peacefully with Children decided to make a series of ornaments based on the theme.
- Laura at Nestled Under Rainbows shared a reflection on and a celebration of snuggies, lovies, cuddlies and specials.
- Little Hedgehog got a wonderful idea when his red hat from Father Christmas didn’t fit, and Megan at Purple Dancing Dahlias got a wonderful idea to knit a sweet hedgehog!
- Monster-inspired artwork by a monster-clad kid. Despite the growling, he really is cuddly! Monster love courtesy of Dionna at Code Name: Mama.
- Arpita at Up, Down & Natural shares a quick tutorial on how to make your very own Pippalily inspire pouch sling, with zippered pocket & key ring, and a matching nursing cover to boot!
- Amy at Anktangle finally completed something cuddly and warm for her son Daniel: his very own afghan, crocheted with love by Momma.
- Who’d want to cuddle with a cuttlefish? Aunalise at My Sweet Potatoes thinks you might want to cuddle up with this sweet plush cuttlefish!
- In an attempt to slow down and relax while watching her children, Mandy at Living Peacefully with Children decided to give knitting another chance.
- Thanks to Tom’s editing skills. Tom has already declared that “we’re going to have to start using some rules next time we make a movie. You know, basic things like ‘action’ and ‘cut.’” ↩
13 Responses to:
"Jeremy Draws a Monster, Part 1"
My Book Is Now Available!
For My Children: A Mother's Journal of Memories, Wishes and Wisdom
Click the cover to order now!
- When Sharing Sleep Is Tiring
- Parenting From the Inside Out
- Five Ideas to Keep Babies and Toddlers Safe from Choking
- Vote Now for Your Favorite Photos in NPN’s Flickr Contest: What Does Natural Parenting Really Look Like?
- May 2013 Carnival of Natural Parenting Call for Submissions: Emergency Preparedness
Forced Weaning Due to Pregnancy
101 Things To Do Instead of Yelling or Spanking
The Effects of Circumcision on Newborn Boys
Kardashian’s Call to Cover Up
- Mother’s Day Gift Set Giveaway from moksa organics and Zoe Organics
- Natural Parents Network Holiday Gift Guide
- Giveaway: 12×16 Custom Portrait from Destany Fenton Fine Art – $220 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: Story Starters Game from Mama May I – $25 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $35 Gift Certificate to Earthslings – $35 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $30 Gift Certificate from Dominna – $30 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $20 Gift Certificate to Two Pink Hearts – $20 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: 3 Pairs of Earrings from Job Description Mommy – $45 ARV CLOSED
- Revisionary Parenting
- Giveaway: Qwirkle Game from SeriousShops.com – $25 ARV CLOSED