Preschool Weekly Activities (18) – New Year’s
The Preschool Weekly Activity Schedule is designed to help parents and caretakers of preschoolers do one easy but enriching activity with their children each weekday. The activities can also be adapted to fit the needs of toddlers and older children.
Each theme features fun and educational activities; book and music suggestions; and other ideas to help adults and children connect through learning and fun. Please check out the archives for other themes and activities.
This week we’re going to talk about the New Year.
Monday – Motor Skills
Bean Sorting: Many people eat black eyed peas or other traditional foods for good luck on New Year’s day. Take a bag of black eyed peas or other beans and talk about this tradition, then have your little one sort the beans into different containers using various items – small measuring scoops, spoons, etc. You can find several bean sorting activities at the SPD Blogger Network.
Tuesday – Exploring Our World
History, Traditions, and Times: Read about New Year’s history and traditions around the world, talk about resolutions, and make one of your own.1 Check out these links for help:
Traditions and History of Celebrating the New Year
How to Say “Happy New Year” from Around the World
New Year’s Day
You can also talk about time zones and see what time it is in other countries. See these two links for more information:
What time is it around the world?
Kieran and I had fun looking at webcams of that showed live pictures of countries that were at different times than us. For example, this webcam shows a live picture of Sydney, Australia; here are some different cameras in Tokyo, Japan; and here is a live picture of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California.
Wednesday – Language/Pre-reading
New Year Stories: Have your child draw a picture of something special they want to do during the New Year and dictate a story about their picture to you.
Thursday – Fun with Numbers
Counting the Days Until2: With your child, write in your calendar some of the special days coming up this year (birthdays, holidays, etc.). Count how many days it will be until several of the special days. Display a sign reading “___ days until ___” beside your calendar. Change the number every day as you get closer. This offers children a lesson on how to count backwards, as well as another reason to count something meaningful to them.
Friday – Science Adventures
What is a Year: Discuss with the children what a year is. Have you or your child stand in one place. They will be the sun. You can even give them a yellow plate with the word sun on it. The other person will be the earth. They can have a blue or green plate. Make the floor with masking tape where the “earth” will start and stop. Have the earth walk around the sun while spinning. Have them stop on the masking tape. Discuss that it takes 365 days for the earth to go all the way around the sun. You can explain a day by having the sun hold a flashlight. Turn out the lights, and have the earth turn around in the same spot.
Book and Music Suggestions
- Alligators and Others All Year Long : A Book of Months
- When the Moon is Full: A Lunar Year
- The Night Before New Year’s
- Squirrel’s New Year Resolution
- Bringing in the New Year
- Bells Are Ringing:
- By Jean Warren to the tune of “Frere Jacques”
Bells are ringing.
New Year’s here.
New Year’s here
Happy, Happy New Year
Happy, Happy New Year
Let’s all cheer.
New Year’s here!
- Happy New Year song sung in Chinese
- Armenian New Year song
One Response to:
"Preschool Weekly Activities (18) – New Year’s"
My Book Is Now Available!
For My Children: A Mother's Journal of Memories, Wishes and Wisdom
Click the cover to order now!
- When Sharing Sleep Is Tiring
- Parenting From the Inside Out
- Five Ideas to Keep Babies and Toddlers Safe from Choking
- Vote Now for Your Favorite Photos in NPN’s Flickr Contest: What Does Natural Parenting Really Look Like?
- May 2013 Carnival of Natural Parenting Call for Submissions: Emergency Preparedness
Forced Weaning Due to Pregnancy
101 Things To Do Instead of Yelling or Spanking
The Effects of Circumcision on Newborn Boys
Kardashian’s Call to Cover Up
- Mother’s Day Gift Set Giveaway from moksa organics and Zoe Organics
- Natural Parents Network Holiday Gift Guide
- Giveaway: 12×16 Custom Portrait from Destany Fenton Fine Art – $220 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: Story Starters Game from Mama May I – $25 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $35 Gift Certificate to Earthslings – $35 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $30 Gift Certificate from Dominna – $30 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $20 Gift Certificate to Two Pink Hearts – $20 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: 3 Pairs of Earrings from Job Description Mommy – $45 ARV CLOSED
- Revisionary Parenting
- Giveaway: Qwirkle Game from SeriousShops.com – $25 ARV CLOSED