Preschool Weekly Activities (23) – Fish
The Preschool Weekly Activity Schedule is designed to help parents and caretakers of preschoolers do one easy but enriching activity with their children each weekday. The activities can also be adapted to fit the needs of toddlers and older children.
Each theme features fun and educational activities; book and music suggestions; and other ideas to help adults and children connect through learning and fun. Please check out the archives for other themes and activities.
This week we’re going to talk about fish.
Monday – Fun and Games
Go Fish – Numbers: If your preschooler has never played the card game Go Fish, now is the time to teach her! Just get a deck of cards, give each player 7 cards, and take turns asking for a card to make pairs. When we play, we put a shoe box in front of Kieran – he uses it to hold his cards up.
Tuesday – Motor Skills
Seashell Imprints: Give your little one some playdough and let him explore making imprints with different ocean items (seashells, starfish, sea horse shapes, etc). See what ocean shapes your child can make out of playdough.
Wednesday – Language and Pre-Reading
Go Fish – Reading1:
26 Letter Cards (use flash cards if you have them, find printable alphabet cards online, or simply write letters on a piece of paper and cut the paper up into cards)
26 pictures – one for each letter of the alphabet (free printables online include: Homeschool Creations and MrPrintables.com)
1. Shuffle all of your cards together and deal 7 to each player.
2. Players look for matches (letter to picture that starts with that letter)
3. Take turns asking for “a picture that starts with the letter ‘b’” (or ‘k’ or ‘f’ etc.), or for a letter that matches a picture they have.
Thursday – Fun with Numbers
Challenge your child to put 20 goldfish crackers in a bowl without counting them. Count and see how close he got.
Fill a glass jar with goldfish and have your child guess how many there are. Count and see how close he got. Remove some (don’t let him see how many) and have him estimate again. Remind him that the estimate should be less than the original amount, because you removed some.
Friday – Exploring Our World
Same and Different: Visit your local pet store, or simply visit some websites that have pictures of different kinds of fish. Pick out two fish and talk about how they are the same and how they are different. Talk about what benefits a fish might have for being bigger or smaller, bright colored or plain, etc.
Book and Music Suggestions
My Book Is Now Available!
For My Children: A Mother's Journal of Memories, Wishes and Wisdom
Click the cover to order now!
- When Sharing Sleep Is Tiring
- Parenting From the Inside Out
- Five Ideas to Keep Babies and Toddlers Safe from Choking
- Vote Now for Your Favorite Photos in NPN’s Flickr Contest: What Does Natural Parenting Really Look Like?
- May 2013 Carnival of Natural Parenting Call for Submissions: Emergency Preparedness
Forced Weaning Due to Pregnancy
101 Things To Do Instead of Yelling or Spanking
The Effects of Circumcision on Newborn Boys
Kardashian’s Call to Cover Up
- Mother’s Day Gift Set Giveaway from moksa organics and Zoe Organics
- Natural Parents Network Holiday Gift Guide
- Giveaway: 12×16 Custom Portrait from Destany Fenton Fine Art – $220 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: Story Starters Game from Mama May I – $25 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $35 Gift Certificate to Earthslings – $35 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $30 Gift Certificate from Dominna – $30 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $20 Gift Certificate to Two Pink Hearts – $20 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: 3 Pairs of Earrings from Job Description Mommy – $45 ARV CLOSED
- Revisionary Parenting
- Giveaway: Qwirkle Game from SeriousShops.com – $25 ARV CLOSED