Preschool Weekly Activities (24) – Time
The Preschool Weekly Activity Schedule is designed to help parents and caretakers of preschoolers do one easy but enriching activity with their children each weekday. The activities can also be adapted to fit the needs of toddlers and older children.
Each theme features fun and educational activities; book and music suggestions; and other ideas to help adults and children connect through learning and fun. Please check out the archives for other themes and activities.
This week we’re going to talk about time. Many thanks to Shannon of Pineapples & Artichokes for allowing me to share these fun activities!
Monday – Science Adventures
Measuring Time: Find all the different ways to measure time in your house. Discuss the difference between analog and digital. Watch how much fast the minutes move, then the hours. Set timers for different amounts of time. With the help of a stop watch see how fast you can run around the room. With an hour glass, see how many words you can write in a minute.
Tuesday – Fun with Numbers
What We Do In A Day: With an analog clock, explore what the clock looks like when it’s time for different parts of the day. This is also a good time to talk about the difference between morning, afternoon, and night time.
Wednesday – Motor Skills
Be A Sundial: Find a flat piece of pavement near your house and draw an X in the center. Have your child stand on the X and trace around their shadow. Repeat every half hour.
Thursday – Music and Art
Make Your Own Calendar: Print a blank calendar and use images to mark your planned activities. Depending on the age of your child and the size of your calendar, the kids can draw their own pictures, use stickers or print out free clip art from the web.
Friday – Exploring Our World
Orbit And Axial Tilt: Discuss how the earth’s orbit around the sun determines the length of our year, and the tilt determines seasons. A good primer on this is here. Then, with a globe and flashlight, explore how the shadow stays on the bottom of the earth while the earth spins on it’s axis. See how the shadow changes depending on how far or close the flashlight is to the globe.
Weekend – Field Trip
Visit the Planetarium!: Check the nearest Science Center or college campus for a planetarium you can visit. They will either have a star show you can watch or will let you examine the big telescopes.
Book, Music, and Video Suggestions
- A Second Is A Hiccup
- Nine O’Clock Lullabye
- Time lapse video of the Earth from orbit.
- Days of the Week Song -Traditional English song, to the tune of “Johnny Works With One Hammer.”
Sunday, Monday, Tuesday
Friday, and Saturday
Then Sunday comes again
- Twelve Months In A Year -To the tune of “Ten Little Indians.”
January, February, March, and April
May, and June, and July, and August
September, October, November, December
Twelve months in a year!
- Earth, Moon, and Sun Song -To the tune of “The Farmer In The Dell.”
The Earth spins around, the Earth spins around,
Once a day, every day, the Earth spins around
The Moon goes round the Earth, the Moon goes round the Earth,
Once a month, every month, the Moon goes round the Earth
The Earth goes round the Sun, the Earth goes round the Sun,
One a year, every year, the Earth goes round the Sun.
Shannon of Pineapples & Artichokes created this lesson plan from a series of lessons done by the co-op homeschool preschool her daughter is enrolled in. The other contributors are Lori Glickman, Lindsey Fellows, and Kimberly Agbayani.
One Response to:
"Preschool Weekly Activities (24) – Time"
My Book Is Now Available!
For My Children: A Mother's Journal of Memories, Wishes and Wisdom
Click the cover to order now!
- 9 Ways to Create Moments of Connection with Older Children
- Lego Angst
- I Wish Children Came with Instruction Manuals
- Mindful Nurturing Resources Bundle Sale
- We’re Just Suckers for Breastmilk! Should Lactivists Worry About Breastmilk-Flavored Lollipops?
Forced Weaning Due to Pregnancy
101 Things To Do Instead of Yelling or Spanking
The Effects of Circumcision on Newborn Boys
Kardashian’s Call to Cover Up
- Mother’s Day Gift Set Giveaway from moksa organics and Zoe Organics
- Natural Parents Network Holiday Gift Guide
- Giveaway: 12×16 Custom Portrait from Destany Fenton Fine Art – $220 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: Story Starters Game from Mama May I – $25 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $35 Gift Certificate to Earthslings – $35 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $30 Gift Certificate from Dominna – $30 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $20 Gift Certificate to Two Pink Hearts – $20 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: 3 Pairs of Earrings from Job Description Mommy – $45 ARV CLOSED
- Revisionary Parenting
- Giveaway: Qwirkle Game from SeriousShops.com – $25 ARV CLOSED