Bloggers for Birth Kits
Before you read any further, please take a minute to think of seven of your mama friends. No really, get a piece of paper and write down the names of seven of your friends who are mothers.
Here are my seven:
Lauren of Hobo Mama
Jennifer of Hybrid Rasta Mama
Jorje of Momma Jorje
Mandy of Living Peacefully with Children
Amy of Me, Mothering, and Making It All Work
Laura of WaldenMommy: Life Behind the Red Door and
Joni Rae of Tales of a Kitchen Witch.
Now, think about one of those friends being gone.
Why am I being morbid, you ask?
Because I just learned that in rural Papua New Guinea, 1 in 7 women die in childbirth. I am shocked. That rate is mind blowing to me.
And I want to do something to help.
Bloggers for Birth Kits was created as “a simple initiative to rally bloggers to reach out and help mamas in Papua New Guinea.” The dynamo behind Bloggers for Birth Kits, Adriele, volunteers for YWAM Medical Ships, and she knows how life-saving birth kits can be for the women of Papau New Guinea.
Adriele helped put together over 2000 birth kits last year, and she’d love to do at least that many this year. You can help in several ways:
What can you do?
1. Make a birth kit. Assemble one yourself or gather a group of friends to make a box full of them! Mail your kits to: Adriel Booker, Bloggers for Birth Kits, PO Box 6221, Townsville, Queensland, 4810, Australia. Adriele will distribute the kits in some of the poorest regions of Papua New Guinea on their Medical Ship.
2. Donate for a birth kit to be made on your behalf. ($10 will buy 5 kits!) All donations for B4BK go toward the assembly and distribution of birth kits, as well as maternal care education. Make your online donation here. Please be sure to write Bloggers for Birth Kits in the “additional comments” box so the funds will be allocated properly.
3. Help raise awareness by posting about the cause on your blog, facebook, pinterest, and twitter. (Please use the hash tag #B4BirthKits!)
4. Add the Bloggers for Birth Kits button to your blog. (Find the code on the sidebar at Adriele’s site.)
Click on over to Bloggers for Birth Kits if you’d like instructions on how to make your own kit.
But if you don’t want to make your own kit, you can take the easy way out (like I did!!) and donate.
Here is my challenge: This Mother’s Day, donate $14 to honor each of the seven friends you thought of earlier. Your $14 donation will help Adriele put together 7 birth kits.
If your family does not have $14, then just donate $2. Each birth kit helps!! Donate $2 in the name of one of your seven friends, and ask her to do the same. Each of our small donations will go to help save the life of a mama who does not have access to the same health care that we do.
Please share this post on Facebook, and help save the life of a mama this Mother’s Day.
Many thanks to Boho Mama for blogging about this and bringing it to my attention!
4 Responses to:
"Bloggers for Birth Kits"
My Book Is Now Available!
For My Children: A Mother's Journal of Memories, Wishes and Wisdom
Click the cover to order now!
- When Sharing Sleep Is Tiring
- Parenting From the Inside Out
- Five Ideas to Keep Babies and Toddlers Safe from Choking
- Vote Now for Your Favorite Photos in NPN’s Flickr Contest: What Does Natural Parenting Really Look Like?
- May 2013 Carnival of Natural Parenting Call for Submissions: Emergency Preparedness
Forced Weaning Due to Pregnancy
101 Things To Do Instead of Yelling or Spanking
The Effects of Circumcision on Newborn Boys
Kardashian’s Call to Cover Up
- Mother’s Day Gift Set Giveaway from moksa organics and Zoe Organics
- Natural Parents Network Holiday Gift Guide
- Giveaway: 12×16 Custom Portrait from Destany Fenton Fine Art – $220 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: Story Starters Game from Mama May I – $25 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $35 Gift Certificate to Earthslings – $35 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $30 Gift Certificate from Dominna – $30 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $20 Gift Certificate to Two Pink Hearts – $20 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: 3 Pairs of Earrings from Job Description Mommy – $45 ARV CLOSED
- Revisionary Parenting
- Giveaway: Qwirkle Game from SeriousShops.com – $25 ARV CLOSED