Thoughts on the Final Weeks Before a Second Baby’s Arrival
A friend of mine who is nearing the end of her pregnancy recently asked me to share my thoughts on how to mentally prepare for the second baby’s arrival. Sara of bonzo, chooch and me has a fun-loving toddler whom she has done much to prepare for the new baby, but she has not done as much to prepare herself.1
Thinking back to those last weeks of pregnancy, the thing I am happiest about was the time I spent with Kieran. I figured that our new rhythm would work itself out after the baby arrived. So with that in mind, here is what I shared with Sara:
Much love to you as you begin these last weeks with you and your son alone. I think that my best advice would be to savor the remaining weeks you have with one child. Mindfully spend special time with him, snuggle up close, and drink in those moments when it is just the two of you.
After the new baby has been there for a week or two and you have a chance to breathe, don’t be surprised if you are overwhelmed by emotion – guilt for changing your son’s rhythm, longing to just nurse and love him like you did before, exhaustion from having to manage the needs of one more – allow yourself those moments of panic and mama guilt, then let them go.
Trust that in a few short weeks or months, you will find a new rhythm. Trust that your son will love that baby fiercely, so much that you’ll have to figure out how to curb that enthusiastic love. Believe that it will come together into something seamless and right, and you’ll have so many moments where you sit back in awe and think – “Has this baby always been here?! It feels like we’ve been a family of four forever!”
Here are a few links you might want to check out before baby:
Second Child on the Way? Are You Ready? — A guest post by Annie of PhD in Parenting. She links to many other resources for preparing for #2.
I Thought I Knew Mama had a link-up for resources for mamas who are pregnant with #2.
What Nobody Says About Bringing Second Baby Home (or) The Greatest Gift You Can Ever Give A Child — A very honest and touching post from Perpetually Nesting.
What resources would you add to this list?
What did you do to prepare yourself for the arrival of #2?
6 Responses to:
"Thoughts on the Final Weeks Before a Second Baby’s Arrival"
My Book Is Now Available!
For My Children: A Mother's Journal of Memories, Wishes and Wisdom
Click the cover to order now!
- 9 Ways to Create Moments of Connection with Older Children
- Lego Angst
- I Wish Children Came with Instruction Manuals
- Mindful Nurturing Resources Bundle Sale
- We’re Just Suckers for Breastmilk! Should Lactivists Worry About Breastmilk-Flavored Lollipops?
Forced Weaning Due to Pregnancy
101 Things To Do Instead of Yelling or Spanking
The Effects of Circumcision on Newborn Boys
Kardashian’s Call to Cover Up
- Mother’s Day Gift Set Giveaway from moksa organics and Zoe Organics
- Natural Parents Network Holiday Gift Guide
- Giveaway: 12×16 Custom Portrait from Destany Fenton Fine Art – $220 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: Story Starters Game from Mama May I – $25 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $35 Gift Certificate to Earthslings – $35 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $30 Gift Certificate from Dominna – $30 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: $20 Gift Certificate to Two Pink Hearts – $20 ARV CLOSED
- Giveaway: 3 Pairs of Earrings from Job Description Mommy – $45 ARV CLOSED
- Revisionary Parenting
- Giveaway: Qwirkle Game from SeriousShops.com – $25 ARV CLOSED